New School Board Member Seminar
Start your first Convention experience off by joining other newly elected school board members for networking and education. New board members will leave with an instant network and support as well as a list of suggested sessions to attend.
Powered by TASB ISD, this session fulfills TASB ISD sessions Boardsmanship, Teamwork and School Law Basics.
7-7:30 a.m. Registration and Continental Breakfast
7:30 a.m.-2:00 p.m. Program (includes lunch)
This session will focus on:
- Job of a school board member
- Importance for trustees to act as a board rather than as individuals
- Team effectiveness- how each member can contribute
Participants will discuss:
- How to handle the personal and public demands
- Basic roles\responsibilities and how duties differ from those of the superintendent
- Key team procedures, communication strategies, and ethical behavior
- How to avoid nepotism and financial conflicts of interest
- Tips and tools for new trustees
No additional fee is required; however, advance registration is necessary, and participation is limited.
Questions? Contact Marla Gilliland.